Geometry of Clinical Efficiency
Research Question: What is the most efficient triangular unit?
Scope of Study:
- Reviewed existing literature and research
- Reviewed built examples of triangular units
- Developed triangular variations and component arrangements
- Measured time + distance of selected units
- Performed a lean design analysis through simulation modeling
- Smaller units using flexible divisions of twelve rooms.
- Acuity adaptable: larger rooms, increased visibility + support.
- Decentralized nursing station placed at circulation points.
- Provide multiple flexible work + observation places: public + private.
- Allow visibility of peers to peers: enhancing wayfinding + support.
- Separate public + service circulation paths.
- Provide collaborative staff spaces: bump spaces to privacy.
- Provide multiple levels of family + respite space throughout the unit.